Sunday, January 26, 2020

It All Belongs to Me

"Everything belongs to me because I’m poor." - from Visions of Cody by Jack Kerouac

I walked this morning and the day belonged to me
because I am not rich
It had rained overnight and the wet ground belonged to me
because I am not rich
The large white clouds hanging in the sky belonged to me
because I am not rich
A dog approached and let me pet him and that moment belonged to me
because I am not rich
There was a cold wind that gently slapped my cheeks and it belonged to me
because I not rich
I was able to relax and not be rushed as I strolled the neighborhood as time belonged to me
because I am not rich
All the pretty houses and their lawns belonged to me too
so did the fences and the gardens and the signs and the sun and the mist and the flowers and the slick sidewalks and streets
It all belongs to me because I am not rich
Do you hear me?
I am not rich!
The rich only have money and property and cars and possessions and stocks and investments and portfolios
They own nothing of value because they are rich
We who are not rich own everything important and it is not for sale
But we will share it because we know how to share
The rich do not
The day and the sky and the grass and the smells and the cool fresh air are ours and they cannot be bought
I am happy today and feel good and healthy and wise and strong
because I am not rich
(Thank you Jack Kerouac for telling me the truth)

No comments:

Post a Comment